Thursday, June 10, 2010

First "Class"

Last night, the class met up in the lobby of the Guest House, and then taxied off to some famous gardens close to the UN headquarters. We got out of the cab, and I had to laugh. The view that greeted my eyes is the one you see at the top of this blog. Figures that the first thing I would see officially was that. (I put the picture up not really knowing where it was taken from or what it was. I can now tell you a great deal more about it.)
We wandered through the gardens a bit. We have a few folks interested in/knowledgeable about botany with us, so we discussed which herbs and plants were growing around us. Rosemary!
We settled down in the grass to have our first "class." This included the traditional distribution of paperwork - health and safety cards, syllabi, etc. Eric introduced us to some of the perspectives and principles we would be exploring during the course, and then we headed off to dinner.
My favorite bit about the first class? A group of Arab Israelis sat near us smoking fruit hasheesh and sending the smell over.

2 comments:

  1. What kind of company have you been keeping that you can recognize the aroma of fruit hasheesh ?But don't be intimidated by that remark and just keep blogging in your usual spontaneous style. Uncle Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in Egypt, Uncle Al, I got very used to the smell. I have never smoked it in my life.
    : )

    ReplyDelete